Wednesday, June 17

Works for Me Wednesday : Frugal Laundry Soap


****UPDATE***

I just realized that unless you got to the original post you may not get the recipe. Oops. Sorry.

Here it is.

1 Cup of Borax (20 Mule Team Borax)
1 Cup Washing Soda (not Baking Soda)

That's it!

Mix in a bowl and store in an air tight container. I've been using 2 tablespoons per load and have had great results. I do not use any kind of softener or vinegar for that matter.

This recipe can be doubled or more based on the amount of combined ingredients you have. I think one whole box of each can net you a total of 6 cups each with some left over of the Borax. Which, the Borax has lots of other cleaning uses around the house.

This basic recipe may or may not work for you. I've been using it for about a week. Read through the tipnut.com links I shared for tons of other info if you like.

Take care,
Shanna

*******************************************************
Here's my first Works for Me Wednesday post. If you've been around my blog for a while, you'll know that I've been experimenting with homemade laundry soap. I must say that I am still quite impressed and here's why:
  • It is easy to make. I modified my recipe from grating the Fels Naptha to not using Fels Naptha at all. Thanks again Anne for the tip.
  • I don't need softener! I always forget the rinse cycle anyway, so it saves on energy and water too!!
  • It costs pennies per load. {$0.0490 per load based off my ingredient purchase}
  • It's only TWO ingredients.
  • My clothes smell fresh, clean AND they are soft!
I'm still testing my new found love, but so far, I'm extremely happy. Go to my Frugal Laundry Soap : Follow Up post to get the "gist", a short Q&A session and links to other great sites for recipes and FAQs.

Get motivated, be inspired and visit more Works for Me Wednesday posts over at We are THAT Family. You'll be glad you did.

Thank you for stopping by! Until next time!

3 Comments:

knittinandnoodlin 6/17/09, 5:06 PM  

Yay! I'm glad to hear it is still working for you! I never tried it without the Fels Naptha...I might have to try that. I have noticed that after using homemade detergent for nearly a year...my clothes haven't worn out as quickly, especially t-shirts. I have noticed, though, that synthetics tend to hold odor more (or perhaps the odor is not being masked by the perfumes like it was with commercial detergents?). So if a shirt gets a little smelly, I just spray it down with vinegar/water before I wash it...good as new! =)

Tabitha Blue 6/18/09, 9:17 PM  

Ok!! I'm excited now... checking out the newly updated recipe!!

:)
~Tabitha

Rebecca 8/3/09, 6:49 AM  

I'm going to have to try this! I've read about and heard about homemade laundry soap several times in the past six months. Thanks for blogging about it and reminding me again!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP