Tuesday, June 23

Tackle It Tuesday : Not Sew Easy

Tackle It Tuesday Meme

This is my first Tackle It Tuesday and if you remember, I did my first Works for Me Wednesday, just last week. I've been a reader of these memes for some time, but really nothing more than a bystander. I'm always in awe of all the things these bloggers accomplish, so many great ideas - such a great platform to share. I love it. Well, I've finally gotten the courage to do my own posts about what I'm 'tackling' and what's 'working' for me.

I've been slowly but surely finding the means to get back to basics. I'll be using these platforms to chronicle my progress. And solicit your advice as not everything I tackle... will be working for me.

This week is a prime example. My first sewing project.

Find a pattern, size your children, cut out your pattern.

I am trying a simple nightgown for the girls.

Sew the shoulder seam, easy. Sew the side seam, easy.

Sew the bottom hem, easy.

Sew the neck and armpit holes... NOT SEW EASY!

I got so frustrated. First of all, the hem is a lot smaller and more difficult to fold under for a clean seam... let alone sew it on the machine.

Worse yet, it is almost too small! When I sized all three of my children, their measurements came out to a size 4 according to the pattern. Size 5 should fit just right, so the next one will be a size 6 so they have room to grow. Maybe I should go bigger?

This exploration project took me an afternoon. Considering I haven't sewn anything from a pattern like this or anything for that matter since Junior High Home Ec class, I guess I did alright.

However, any ideas on how to make the armpit and neck holes less frustrating? Otherwise we'll be sewing square ones from now on! ;)

What are you tackling this week? Head on over to 5 Minutes For Mom to get some inspiration or share your own!

6 Comments:

Susie 6/23/09, 11:08 AM  

I am in awe of people who can sew so, I don't have any tips for you. Great tackle:-)

Anne,  6/23/09, 5:21 PM  

On rounded edges like that, I like to use binding. Making your own out of the same fabric works best. Just remember to cut it on the diagonal so it stretches as you "go 'round".
I just sewed a bunch of reuseable shopping bags. They turned out great. Lined, heavy duty, and I used an actual plastic shopping bag as the pattern.
Anne

Shanna 6/24/09, 12:43 PM  

@Susie - thanks for stopping by. Loved your Upside Down Pineapple cake tackle as well!

@Anne - thanks for the advice, although I don't know what binding is LOL. :\ I'd love to be able to sew my own reusable shopping bags. I've been purchasing them from stores, but I'd rather make my own. Thanks for the tips. I'll look for binding instructions.

Anne,  6/24/09, 2:40 PM  

Sorry Shanna, the name I should have used is bias tape or bias binding. I'm no proffesional, so I word things my own way. (You know, like, binding the edge so it doesn't unravel!?!?) OOps!

Shanna 6/24/09, 3:49 PM  

@Anne - Ah! Ok! I've heard of bias 'something' before, so that will give me a good start. I have a nightgown to do for my other daughter, so I'll see if I can find some to use with hers. If it works, I suppose I could undo the stitching on the original one and redo it... Thanks again!!

Mrs. H 6/30/09, 4:29 PM  

Hang in there and keep on tackling more clothes! I have not ventured to anything that tough - stick with it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP