Wednesday, June 24

Shrinking Jeans : Shred Days 2 & 3

I Shred with the Sisterhood!
Wow! What a week! I started The Shred just last Tuesday (Day1), skipped Wednesday cause my legs still felt like jello and then did Day 2 & 3 back to back Thursday and Friday.

Thursday (Day 2) I felt awesome. I felt stronger. Yes, I still felt like jello, but I also know, for me, the best way to work out workout soreness... is to, um, workout. I had my reservations about being able to commit to every day, but at the end of Day 2. I knew I could and I felt relieved...

Well. Let me tell you. Friday (Day 3) was the clincher. Although I didn't think I'd be able to get a workout in before work on Friday, I did anyway, well cause - I had to. You know. I felt so good the day before. How could I not keep the momentum?

Boy was I sorely mistaken! That was all she wrote. I could feel my legs, knees, ankles and feet aching all day, but that was due to working out, of course, and my body still getting used it. BUT, while kneeling to a squatting position at work to restock/front face merchandise at the cash wrap, I had a painful discovery. My knees had swollen so much that I could not bend them without being in excruciating pain - needless to say, I could not bend them. And because my muscles were weak, I had to pull myself back up from the shelf with one hand while pushing up from the floor with the other.

Ah, the perils of being young and ignorant. I used to be an active person. I loved to ride my bike, go roller blading around the lakes, walking, hiking, working out at the gym, etc...

In 2001, I suffered my first knee injury, partial tear of the ACL. I'm not able to go into details, but needless to say, it was not taken care of properly by the responsible entity and I believed the doctor when he said he didn't see anything wrong with it anymore. Hmmm, yeah, whatever! I was young and naive.

Then in 2004 I suffered a complete tear of the ACL of my other knee, surgery followed 15 months later cause I could not under go surgery while pregnant. My body did not respond well to physical therapy and honestly I should have put more effort into it. Again, I was naive and have never regained full range of motion in that knee, not to mention I've lost a lot of muscle mass due to that injury.

Ok. So. Back to today.

The Shred and the Sisterhood were going to be my way of getting back into shape and essentially get my physical life and knees back. I have three little ones to keep up with you know. LOL! The Shred cause a good friend has been raving about it and the Sisterhood, cause now she and I can both be held accountable in a fun, supportive way.

So, with that, I'll be modifying all of the high impact exercises with once I've learned from my past days of working out. I think I'll try one day a week to do the whole exercise like the video, but the rest of the week, I need to go a bit slower to get my strength back in knees.

Mr. Scales has me at 161 pounds this week. Oh well. I still feel better and I'm so lovin' the ab workout as I sooooo need it. :)

Until next week!

2 Comments:

Debi 6/26/09, 8:01 AM  

Your power lies in taking action. You are taking action, congratulate yourself for moving and realizing what you need to do for your body.

If you like the whole YouTbue thing and making videos, there is a 100 day fitness challenge group going on there. Let me know and I'll send you the link - debitalbert@gmail.com

Debi

bashtree 6/27/09, 7:21 PM  

What are the low-impact exercises you do? I've been looking for some low-impact cardio too, for similar reasons, and I'd love to hear what you're doing to see if it's more interesting than what I do :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP