Tuesday, June 9

Frugal Laundry Soap : Follow Up

Well, it's been almost two and a half weeks since posting my public Frugal Laundry Soap journey and I must say, I am still quite pleased.

I've also learned that my tutorial skills need some work and I appreciate you sticking around anyway. ;) I'm working on it. Thank you for coming back!

The number of questions and suggestion offers have been amazing. Now, I don't feel so alone in this endeavour. Thank you!

So, let's get started! This "Follow Up" post is more about answering the questions I've received so even if you've been afraid to ask or
gasp a lurker, you won't miss out. Since this is a learning process for me as well, I'll share some of the experiences and questions that I have.

Making your own laundry soap is really quite easy! Anyone can do it. If it is something that you've really wanted to try, then you you just have to do it and not procrastinate like I did.

Can I use Homemade Detergent in my HE (High Efficiency) machine? I have no experience with this, but I have found lots of info on the web that says it's ok to use. Be aware that the manufacturer may void the warranty if you are not using their recommended products. Homemade detergent is low sudsing (if any at all), which is very important for HE machines. Also, at the bottom of this Soaps Gone Buy page, they write briefly about HE machines.


Hmmm....  this one has really got me thinking.  Can I use my homemade soap in the dishwasher?  I'll be checking that one out cause I am tired of paying for that one!  You?

So, do your clothes come out as clean as they did before?
I think so. They look, feel and smell fresh and clean.

I've been wanting to do this but haven't done it yet.
I say,
just try it especially since it is something that you've thought about. This way you'll be able to stop thinking about it and if it doesn't work for you and your family, you can utilize the Borax and Washing Soda for other areas in your home. Each provide several suggested uses.

I've heard some people add bluing in it for their whites.
This is another area that I don't have experience in. I've never used bluing and right now, with three little ones, I do my best to avoid any white clothing.
Mrs. Stewart's Bluing is the one that comes to mind as I've seen it at the store. I thought about getting it the day I purchased my other homemade detergent ingredients, but then I reminded myself that we don't have many whites and what we do have is socks and undergarments. So I skipped it. Got to Mrs. Stewart's Bluing for some instructions on how to use this product.

I've been wanting my own laundry soap for awhile and am just waiting to use up some of the soap I already have.
Yeah! Me too! This is the same reason I waited so long. Problem is, when you wait to run out. You will run out. And instead of trying to put something together that you are just learning, you'll go to the store and buy more of your usual stand by. :) Get what you need now, then when there is no pressure, he he, you can mix everything up.

How do you grate the soap into flakes?
I just use a hand-held cheese grater.

I've heard of people putting it into a food processor but then I wondered if you can really get all that soap residue out of it when you wash it. Wouldn't want it in my food!
That is a great question, cause I wouldn't want soap in my food either, yuck! Some of you may know
Heather over at Want What You Have and she has a post on how she makes her homemade laundry soap and she uses a food processor. I imagine it would take the same amount of effort to clean it after other uses. I toss my hand-held cheese grater in the dishwasher and it comes out just fine.


I hope this helps and here is a Q&A session from tipnut.com.  Maybe it'll cover some questions you hadn't thought about or offer other advice.  Now, if the powdered detergent is not your thing, they also have several different recipes.  I find alot of sites referring back to this one, so it has some merit.

Remember, when I said I have only enough detergent for one load?  Well, since Anne said...  "I don't use the Fels- Naptha and it still works great."  That is my next trial.  I've already got it mixed up.  AND, if it works, it'll only cost me $0.0490 per load.  She did caution to not use more than suggested otherwise it'll wear out my clothes.  Why not try it?  I'll let you know.

Also, I haven't used fabric softener since my first load of home made laundry soap and I see no reason to go back.  Thanks for the tip Anne!

Please realize that each person's experience may be different.  I've read that your water can have an affect on the effectiveness of your detergent.  For example, I've read that well water may cause your clothes to look dingy after so many washes.  I'm sure it's not all well water, but the person that posted about it, had that experience.

Unless you just plain don't like the idea, don't give up.  Your finances will thank you.  You may have to research or tweak your recipe, but in the long run, you'll still be saving and learning along the way.

Have a great day!  Leave me a comment and let me know your thoughts or how it's working for you.  Feel free to respond to other comments as well.  We can learn from each other.  :)

0 Comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP