Wednesday, October 15

Blog Action Day : What will you do?


United we stand, divided we fall is a saying that I have found to be attributed to Aesop and used throughout History in songs, motto's, etc.  But I don't have to tell you all that - chances are, you've already experienced it.

I am only one person, I can't do much alone, but today, Bloggers spanning the Globe are Uniting to Stand against Poverty.  If you are reading this post and think you have missed out, there is still time.  If you have a Blog and want to participate and have your voice heard, click here.  If you don't have a Blog, you can still inspire awareness.  Just talk about it.  If you email it, I'm not suggesting spamming anyone, in fact don't.

I am only one person, I cannot do much alone, but what I can do is start at home and plant the seed.  Plant the seed within my spouse, my children, my neighbors, my neighborhood, my community, my city government, my State, my Nation and yes, eventually, the World.

The World?  It's really not as hard as you think.  If ever you communicate with another human being, you have the power.  It's a power that most of us don't realize we have because we don't see the results right in front of us.  You have the Power, Believe it!

So, what can you do?  Each of us is in a different state of being and have a different path to follow or blaze.  For me, it starts with me for my children.  Our children are our future and they copy everything we do.  They can't be taught anything they don't see in practice or real life.  Long after I am gone, they will be here and their children and their children.

My children will no longer be left at home while I take food to be donated, I'll explain to them why we buy extra when we can to help those in need.  They will go through their toys and clothes, hand picking them for children that have less than they do.  When old enough, they will go with me when I donate blood, so they can see what I am doing, not just me telling them what I am doing.  They will resent me less for not spending that time with them and appreciate it more.

You may be reading thinking I've lost my focus of what this day is.  I haven't.  Believe me.  This journey, it's just the beginning.

I'll leave you with two quotes from a woman whose wisdom will forever live on.

"We think sometimes that poverty is only being hungry, naked and homeless.  The poverty of being unwanted, unloved and uncared for is the greatest poverty.  We must start in our own homes to remedy this kind of poverty."  

"What I do, you cannot do; but what you do, I cannot do.  The needs are great and none of us, including me, ever do great things.  But we can all do small things with great love, and together we can do something wonderful."

~Mother Teresa of Calcutta 1910-1997



0 Comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP