Friday, May 15

What's in our Garden

We decided to put a garden in for the first time in many, many years.  We've been met with a few challenges and the fact that growing a garden in Wisconsin is a bit different than Georgia - it's really all the same in the end.  Either way it's a learning experience, labor of love, great fun, and kids love to, um, {help}.


Not only that, but the motivation behind Blog Action Day last year really put things in perspective for me.  You can read my participation post here.  We won't be preserving all of our bounty just for ourselves, we'll be donating some to a local organization in need.

This is what we've started off with this year.

corn
beans
peas
potatoes
tomatoes - two varieties
cucumbers
watermelon
honeydew
cantaloupe
lettuce
onions
broccoli
cauliflower
okra
eggplant
dill
kohlrabi
rutabaga
turnip
pepper - 3 varieties
carrots
radishes
zucchini
spinach
parsley
parsnip
squash - 2 varieties
chives
blueberries
lemon balm
lavender
sweet basil
oregano

Oh and since this post is linked to Happy to be at Home, here are {thirteen} of the many things I love about gardening...  in no particular order.
  1. Nothing tastes better than cooking/baking with fresh ingredients!
  2. Getting dirty.
  3. I'm naturally a black thumb, but with some practice, even I can help things grow.
  4. Stress reliever.
  5. Exercise.
  6. Homemade pickles are the best!
  7. Gardening is a wonderful platform to teach little ones about most anything.
  8. Canning and freezing to have garden freshness even during winter months.
  9. It's fun and challenging at the same time.
  10. Rewarding.
  11. More economical/frugal.
  12. Gives you a sense of pride and accomplishment.
  13. Do it all again next year!
If you clicked my link above describing our challenges and were curious... the tomato plants didn't make it.  Neither did about one-third of the garden.  We had to replant.

Lesson learned...  plant later in the planting season (we are only talking weeks here).  We (I was) were so eager to get started that we planted in the beginning.  Nothing really lost - even the money spent to buy the plants and seeds will be returned many times over in the harvest we'll get.

How about you?  Are you or have you planted a garden this year?  What reasons do you have for or not planting?

8 Comments:

momstheword 5/15/09, 2:32 PM  

I have never planted a vegetable garden. I would love to have a container of tomatoes or something, though!

I didn't realize you and hubby lived so far apart. Wow. That's hard.

The book talks about all the stress debt puts on people. After I quit my job to stay home with the kids it put alot of stress on my hubby (I was making more than he was when I quit).

It is very stressful. It's funny because in the book sometimes one person got on board before the other person did. Guess that just happens sometimes.

Debt is very stressful, and it's hard to get out of but not impossible.

Tracey 5/15/09, 7:15 PM  

Wow - that's quite a garden! We had one some years ago, but it would be a little difficult to have one in the small yard we have now. I am growing cherry tomatoes in a container along with a pot of basil. We have small tomatoes showing already! It's such fun for us as a family to watch the progress.

Hoosier Homemade 5/16/09, 9:50 AM  

I'm looking forward to planting our garden soon. Thanks for stopping by my blog!
~Liz

momstheword 5/16/09, 10:54 AM  

Thank you! We've been so excited emailing back and forth and trying to figure it all out! It'll be fun!

I forgot to tell you I think it's cool that you are going to donate some of your garden. To bad I don't live closer....hehehe! (Well, assuming I don't live close)

Eyeglasses & Endzones 5/16/09, 11:28 AM  

Wow! Thanks so much for stopping by our NEW mom blog! We are excited to get the ball rolling!

As for the vegetable garden...I can barely keep a plant alive so the thought of a garden is MAJOR stress....I do have some fresh herbs at home but that is as far as I get....I sure do LOVE tomatoes out of the garden tho...one of my favs!

Hope to get to know you better soon...adorable blog!

He & Me + 3 5/17/09, 7:11 AM  

Thanks for stopping by the 5 moms blog yesterday. It will be fun to get to know you.
my parents have a garden that I raid all the time...i love to make fresh salsa all summer long with their tomatos and peppers and cilantro. YUM!
I hope yours turns out great this year.

E @ Scottsville 5/18/09, 8:25 AM  

Hey, I just wanted to personally thank you for stopping by the new "Five Moms & A Blog" site! We're really excited about this new journey and look forward to meeting lots of new Moms and Dads!

~ Erica

Jena Webber 5/25/09, 7:16 PM  

Amazing. That's a lot of work. We started a garden this year also.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP