Tuesday, December 30

Brighten Someone's Day

Every year there are several landmark dates that I remember to take a moment and pay respects in honor of “that day”.  Most of these “days” usually leave me wondering, “What now?”

Now what?  Be content and file it away until next year?

Not likely, at least not for a couple of weeks.  About a week before the “day”, it’s on my radar and is there until about a week thereafter.

…A week before, so I don’t forget.

…A week after agonizing that I didn’t do more.

When one of these days arrived this year, I observed my moment of silence.  I pondered and researched and Googled.

It was November 11th and I was getting ready to do my usual.  At the right time, I stop, take time to remember, research, mourn, remind others of the day, and send off an email just asking others to take a moment.

But I didn’t remind anyone this year.

Not to mention, December 7th is only a month away and is another day that has been forever etched into my memory for remembrance.

I never forget these two days.  No matter where I am.

So what and do I do to do more?

I am only one person.  I have three children, three and under.  What can I do for others when there are many days that I pray someone will come and rescue me?

This year, I did something different.  I Googled some more and I found what I was looking for.

“adopt a veteran”

I didn’t even know if such a thing existed, but I always hear about Veterans in need in one way or another and I wanted to know what was needed to see if I could offer support.  Not to mention, I want my children to grow up and have a better understanding and appreciation of these heroes than I did when I was growing up.

Angels ‘N Camouflage was my answer.

Did you know that many of our Troops don’t get regular care packages, mail or even messages from home?  Having been enlisted in the National Guard and going through Boot Camp and skills training, I know first hand how heart breaking and spirit crushing it is to be at “Mail Call” and not get anything…  from anyone.

So, through Angels ‘N Camoflage, I have “adopted” a soldier who is serving over in Iraq right now.  I will be writing to them, supporting them each week, so that when it’s time for “Mail Call”, they’ll be getting letters from home.  I use "adopted" loosely and consider them more as a new friend and pen pal.

Here is my first correspondence, beginnings are usually difficult for me – I’m not good with ice breakers.  Many more letter and cards will be sent until they come home.  This was a card with the following graphic and message.


You deserve
to be really proud
of the important things
you're doing --
but at the same time,
it's only natural
to be scared, lonely,
homesick, or even bored...

in case you ever are,
hope it helps to remember
that people back home
are thinking about you,
are proud of you,
and are wishing you
only the best.

I hope to continue to brighten their day and feel good about doing something “about it” this year.

Do you know someone who has served or is currently serving in the armed forces?  Drop them a note or give them a call just to say thank you for their sacrifce.  Don't forget their spouse.  Being away from home is hard for the whole family.  A quick note or sincere call can be all it takes to brighten their day.

1 Comments:

momstheword 1/1/09, 2:07 PM  

Dec. 7 has always meant alot to us as my dad was a Pearl Harbor Survivior. He was actually there when it was bombed and he had an amazing story to tell. (He was even blown off a ship)

For years he didn't talk about it but then he began to give speeches to schools and stuff. He just said it was a job and he did his duty to his country. He had a Japanese friend and they used to give talks together at schools.

I love this idea of yours! It will be much appreciated I know!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP