Tuesday, October 21

Kids' Picks

Today is Kid's Picks Day over at 5 Minutes for Books.  It's nice to see what other parents are reading to their children or what their children are loving to read.


It's an open invite to join the fun or follow along.

Me and the little ones go to the library about at least once every two weeks, sometimes more.  I always have them with me, so it's usually a battle to keep the peace and quiet - it is a library you know.  If anyone has any suggestions on the best way to tackle this beast, I would be so very grateful.  (I'll spare you the details of how our library visits actually go - just know they are not pretty).

While we wait for the library to let us know our next read is in, we've been enjoying these reads.

Tiger, Tiger by Dee Lillegard and Illustrated by Susan Guevara
Although I later realized that this book is a bit over their reading level, they enjoyed it the same.  Rich colors and detail allowed me to read a fantastic story and give them a beautiful picture book at the same time.

Good Night, Sweet Butterflies by Dawn Bently and Illustrated by Heather Cahoon
This book is a bedtime story staple.  After months of reading to them, the babies now recite it with me.  They can even tell me the colors and animals that are in the story when I point to them.

Trucks Roll! by George Lyon and Illustrated by Craig Frazier
I quit my freight career last November to stay home with my babies (then ages 2, 1 and 1), so this was a fun introduction to how stuff gets moved from place to place.  My son of course enjoyed it more than the girls, but it was a fave for all.

Hop on Pop by Dr.Seuss
I remember these (who doesn't) from when I was a kid, so when I saw this at the library, I couldn't resist.

We haven't managed to get a productive reading time in during the day, so each night before bed, our ritual is that we read the stories (at least 3) and then when we are done with all of them - they each get to pick a book to "read" from the ones that we just read together.  I'll give them 5 minutes or so and then we say our prayers, sing our songs, last time to pottie, hugs, kisses, something to drink...

3 Comments:

Anonymous,  10/21/08, 8:23 PM  

Oh, we love Goodnight, Sweet Butterflies! That's a great one!

Kathleen 10/21/08, 8:54 PM  

Hop on Pop will always be a favourite! I posted my first Kids' Picks post here.

As for the library, I have an 18 month old and 2 3/4 year old so I know how you feel. I put all books I want on hold first so that we aren't there long. We go to a playgroup that is downstairs from the library so after playgroup we go upstairs and the kids play in the kid's section while I scope out any other kids books or videos I want. After 5-25 minutes (depending on behaviour) we go check out and get our holds and that's that. It's the only way to get books for me as they will NOT let me browse.

Unknown 10/23/08, 7:20 AM  

How fun that you shared your job experience with them in Trucks Roll!

My little guy is loud and runs a lot, so the only advice I have is wait for them to grow up. At 4 1/2 now he's getting better ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP